1526 bare metal hackers can't be wrong. Join our public Slack channel for support, gossip, and more!
Solution Engineering Lead
Sales, New York City or Remote
Packet is the global leader in automated bare-metal infrastructure, and is seeking a solution engineering leader to support our inbound and outbound sales team members in designing, validating and implementing customer deployments on the Packet platform. As member of the Solution Engineering group, you'll play a vital role scaling our business by directly supporting the growth of a targeted subset of our customer base.
The right candidate for the job will love helping customers, will have a strong understanding of datacenter hardware and Internet networking and will be inquisitive about the various technologies and businesses that our platform supports. You’ll need to go both deep and wide on technical topics and be a self-starting, organized and driven individual. A passion for the Internet and a natural curiosity for how things work is a must for this job.
Remember, Packet is working hard to automate “layer 0” of global cloud computing datacenters, yet our tooling and APIs are geared for developers operating at a higher “layer”. As such, you should be comfortable talking to or fielding questions from both system administrators and devops engineers. Debugging, showcasing or validating a solution for a customer on Packet's bare metal compute, networking solutions and storage options should be an exciting part of your day, not something you're scared of.
What You'll Be Doing
In this role, you'll be personally responsible for supporting our sales and account teams in solution design and validation for hosted public cloud and Packet private deployments. You will see your solutions through implementation with the partnership of the Customer Success and Datacenter Deployment teams.
Ideally, you will be based in our NYC office located near the World Trade Center complex. However, Packet is a distributed company and supports remote working roles as a core part of its communication and culture. Although much of your job can be done via phone, email, chat or video conference, traveling to meet customers is an expected and exciting part of the job.
- You have a passion for technology and how things work. You care about the Internet and the infrastructure that powers it - servers, routers, etc - we're all about bare metal after all!
- You are a “people person” and enjoy working with and interacting with new people on a daily basis.
- You are a recovering system administrator, network engineer or developer with an insatiable curiosity for technology, from VMWare’s latest ESXI build, to BGP networking to new AMD processors. You read Tom's Hardware and have been known to comment at length on hacker news about various AWS services.
- You are organized and self starting and never let things sit until tomorrow that you can do today. You keep lists or post its or Evernote tabs to ensure you get everything done. You may have tried maintaining Inbox Zero.
- You aren't afraid of going the extra mile for a customer - even if it means driving a replacement hardware to a New Jersey datacenter and installing it yourself!
At Packet, we're out to build a better internet by supercharging the container revolution with smart, API-driven bare metal. Our platform brings the price and performance benefits of bare metal servers and mashes it up with the consumption experience of the modern cloud. Oh, and care deeply about delivering packets (as our name suggests).
As we go about our business and look for new team members, we rely these four principles to bring us together:
- We are passionate about building a better Internet.
- We are driven ambitious people who find creative solutions.
- We are effective at getting things done the right way.
- We are excited about leading our industry.
Our goal is to make it easier for online innovators to succeed with infrastructure as they push the envelope of performance and value for their users. We do that by removing complexity wherever we can: elegant software, simple pricing, and forward-looking solutions.
- Competitive Salary - We also provide 100% of health, life, disability vision, and dental insurance for you and your family.
- Stock Options - Packet maintains an employee stock option pool, with a clear formula for acquisition of shares and vesting schedules. We discuss and award options after you’ve been with us for some time (let’s talk at 6 months).
- Flexible time off - employees receive nine paid holidays and ten personal days. Packet practices a flexible vacation policy and trusts its employees with the best interests of the Company’s goals, customers and financial objectives. As such, employees are given relative autonomy in choosing when and how to take their personal and holiday time.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 4% match
- Great tools - Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need, and add you to our cell phone plan or provide a stipend for you for it.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Packet supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.