Packet is the global leader in automated bare-metal infrastructure, and is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to assist in the future development of Packet’s core API and supporting microservices. In this role, you are expected to be well-versed in ruby best practices, specifically geared for rails applications. In addition, familiarity and comfort with assisting in other supporting technologies like postgres and rabbitmq are pluses.
We are always looking for people who are passionate about bare metal infrastructure, so if this sounds like you - let us know!
What You’ll Be Doing
In this position, you’ll be personally responsible for the development of our core API and its supporting microservices. These services are written in primarily ruby and golang, so the more familiar you are with these programming languages the better. As a senior engineer, you are expected to know general best practices for the architecture, performance, and scalability of building services in ruby and rails.
We have adopted a microservices-based architecture for our core platform, and as such you will be interacting with many asynchronous systems and should be comfortable navigating a complex systems and a distributed networking environment.
Tools We Use
- Ruby/rails, Golang, Python, Bash, Postgres
- Docker, CoreOS, Nomad
- Terraform, Saltstack,
- Slack, GitHub, Drone, Quay.io
- Have a passion for infrastructure - we’re all about bare metal after all!
- You take great pride in your work, and like to polish things until they are “done” but also make pragmatic decisions around when to change your approach or triage a particular project. “The perfect is the enemy of the good” is a mantra that should appeal to you.
- You should also have a demonstrated track record for deploying best practices with respect to software development and clear documentation.
- You should have a general breadth of knowledge regarding modern programming techniques, including object-oriented and service-oriented architectures.
- You should be a clear communicator who is able to articulate concepts to stakeholders of varying technical capability.
At Packet, we're out to build a better internet by supercharging the container revolution with smart, API-driven bare metal. Our platform brings the price and performance benefits of bare metal servers and mashes it up with the consumption experience of the modern cloud. Oh, and care deeply about delivering packets (as our name suggests).
As we go about our business and look for new team members, we rely these four principles to bring us together:
- We are passionate about building a better Internet.
- We are driven ambitious people who find creative solutions.
- We are effective at getting things done the right way.
- We are excited about leading our industry.
Our goal is to make it easier for online innovators to succeed with infrastructure as they push the envelope of performance and value for their users. We do that by removing complexity wherever we can: elegant software, simple pricing, and forward-looking solutions.
- Competitive Salary - We also provide 100% of health, life, disability vision, and dental insurance for you and your family.
- Stock Options - Packet maintains an employee stock option pool, with a clear formula for acquisition of shares and vesting schedules. We discuss and award options after you’ve been with us for some time (let’s talk at 6 months).
- Flexible time off - employees receive nine paid holidays and ten personal days. Packet practices a flexible vacation policy and trusts its employees with the best interests of the Company’s goals, customers and financial objectives. As such, employees are given relative autonomy in choosing when and how to take their personal and holiday time.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 4% match
- Great tools - Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need, and add you to our cell phone plan or provide a stipend for you for it.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Packet supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.